School Office Assistant
Post: School Office Assistant
Reporting to: School Business Manager
Hours: Part-time position 0.5 during term-time; Wed 8-12, Thurs and Fri 8-4pm
Contract: One year temporary contract in the first instance.
Salary: £25,464 pa [£12,732 pa pro rata]
Parayhouse is a non-maintained special school for students with significant speech, language and communication needs, moderate/severe learning difficulties and associated social, emotional, behavioural and medical difficulties. The School caters for 48 students from 7 - 16 years of age, many of whom are educationally fragile and arrive at Parayhouse with poor self-esteem, low self-confidence and undeveloped basic skills. Teachers, therapists and LSAs work collaboratively as part of a close and supportive multi-professional team, planning, delivering and evaluating the curriculum.
Parayhouse is a ‘good’ school with ‘outstanding’ behaviour [Ofsted 2014]. The relationships within the School are strong and the ethos is positive, caring and ambitious. The parents are extremely supportive and the Trustee Governors work closely with the senior leaders and staff. Students describe the school as “safe” and “family” [see our video on the website www.parayhouse.com ]
Nearly two years ago, our School moved into premises at the Hammersmith and Fulham College, adjacent to the college’s own provision for SEND students from ages 16 to 25. The School has good relations with the college and is excellently situated for transport links, being 1 minute from Barons Court underground station and 5 minutes from Hammersmith.
Our long-term School Business Manager [SBM] is reducing her hours to work a 3 day week from September. We are therefore looking for an Office Assistant to cover the remaining two days, plus a weekly handover morning with the SBM.
This post is a 1 year fixed term contract from 1st September 2018 in the first instance, with the opportunity to work a [paid] fortnight’s induction in July before the school holidays begin. There is also the potential to develop into a full-time School Office Manager role upon the retirement of the SBM [that date is not yet fixed].
Main purpose of the post
- To be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of all children and young people within the School.
- To support, and report to, the SBM, and provide routine general, clerical and administrative support to the School.
- To be the first point of contact for Local Authorities [LAs], parents and prospective parents, professionals and all visitors to the School.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To undertake all reception duties, answering routine telephone, face-to-face enquiries and signing in visitors.
- Provide routine clerical support e.g. photocopying, filing, e-mailing, completing routine forms etc.
- Maintain manual and computerised records/ management information systems including Sims.
- Undertake typing, word processing and other ICT based tasks.
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Undertake routine administration e.g. student and staff registers, ordering lunches.
- Operate office equipment e.g. photocopier, computer etc.
- Arrange orderly and secure storage of supplies.
- To assist with all aspects of the care and welfare of students.
- To attend Open Evenings, School Productions and Events.
- To develop knowledge of what constitutes acceptable and unacceptable behaviours for students.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of the communication needs of all students.
- To follow Health and Safety practices as detailed in the Policy Statement.
- To maintain good communication and liaison with the officials from referring Local Authorities, other staff, parents, guardians, carers, drivers and passenger assistants, and members of the community ensuring that we work in partnership with them.
- To read and be familiar with; the non-curricular Policy Statements.
- To be familiar with the School Development Plan.
- To attend meetings with representatives of outside agencies, if requested.
- To share the responsibility for the care and maintenance of resources throughout the school, ensuring that equipment is kept in good order.
- To write the weekly newsletter to parents, Trustee governors.
- To organise work experience /volunteer placements at Parayhouse for external students.
- To carry out the administration for residential trips each year.
- To produce Key Group lists.
- To undertake all the administration pertaining to the provision of school lunches.
- To arrange prospective parent and professional appointments at Visitor Mornings; to arrange prospective student Observation Days.
- To prepare the Annual EHCP Review timetables for the Summer Term [Y5 and Y10] and Autumn Term [all other years], send out invitations to parents, LAs and associated professionals.
- To arrange dates, invitations and timetables for the New Start and Progress Parent evenings.
Education and Experience
- Experience of general clerical/administrative work
- Educated to at least GCSE or equivalent, with grade C and above in English and Maths.
- Very good numeracy and literacy skills.
- Open, approachable and friendly manner.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to use relevant technology e.g. photocopier.
- Appropriate level of IT skills. Knowledge and use of SIMS is desirable, or willingness to be trained.
- Ability to participate in development and training opportunities.
- Ability to relate well to children and adults.
- Ability to work constructively and collaboratively within the staff team.
- A good understanding of confidentiality.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE ON THE SCHOOL’S APPLICATION FORM – NO CVs ACCEPTED.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY WEDNESDAY 23rd MAY LATEST
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD W/B MONDAY 4TH JUNE.
INDUCTION PERIOD FOR SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BE THE FORTNIGHT BEGINNING 9TH JULY
FOR ANY QUERIES PLEASE CONTACT:
ANN SULLIVAN, SCHOOL BUSINESS MANAGER
Tel: 0208 741 1400 email: firstname.lastname@example.org