Part time Occupational Therapist
Reporting to: Head of therapy
Hours: 0.5 during term-time; Wed 8-12 or 12-4pm Thurs & Fri 8-4pm preferred, some flexibility
Contract: Permanent with 3 month probationary period.
Salary: Band 7 for experienced candidate
Parayhouse is a non-maintained special school for students with significant speech, language and communication needs, moderate/severe learning difficulties and associated social, emotional, behavioural and medical difficulties. The School caters for 50+ students from 7 - 16 years of age, many of whom are educationally fragile and arrive at Parayhouse with poor self-esteem, low self-confidence and undeveloped basic skills.
Teachers, therapists and LSAs work collaboratively as part of a close and supportive multi-professional team, planning, delivering and evaluating the curriculum. We currently have 4 f/t Speech & Language Therapists, across our 5 classes, and an Art Therapist I day a week. Our Head of Therapy is our senior Speech and Language therapist, and she is very keen to extend the range of OT undertaken in class, and to build more collaborative SLT/OT opportunities with our most complex students.
Parayhouse is a ‘good’ school with ‘outstanding’ behaviour [Ofsted 2018]. The relationships within the School are strong and the ethos is positive, caring and ambitious. The parents are extremely supportive and the Trustee Governors work closely with the senior leaders and staff. Students describe the school as “safe” and “family” [see our video on the website www.parayhouse.com]
Nearly two years ago, our School moved into premises at the Hammersmith and Fulham College, adjacent to the college’s own provision for SEND students from ages 16 to 25. The School has good relations with the college and is excellently situated for transport links, being 1 minute from Barons Court underground station and 5 minutes from Hammersmith.
Over the last few years our students have presented with ever more complex needs, including a higher incidence of medical, sensory and physical needs. Our current Occupational Therapist works 3 days a week – Monday to Wednesday – and due to her other commitments does not wish to extend her hours. We are therefore looking for an OT to cover the 2 days that our OT does not work, and to have an overlapping half day for planning and review.
This is what we really must have!
* A fully qualified Occupational Therapist, HPC registered
* Experience in Paediatrics OT, experience of assessment and treatment of children with a range of conditions
* Sensory Integration training
* A commitment to our collaborative practice and integrated therapeutic support
* Commitment to our drive for continuous school improvement
* Ability to work as an effective team member in a multidisciplinary team where you will variously be required to both lead and support colleague
* The ability to work under pressure and stay calm
* The flexibility to handle changes & disruptions at a moment’s notice
* Consistent and effective behaviour management skill
* A willingness to develop your skills and specialist knowledge of students with speech, language & communication needs through CPD
EXPERIENCE OF WORKING IN A SCHOOL WITH CHILDREN WHO HAVE COMPLEX SEN IS ESSENTIAL.
This is what we think you will also need …
* Good organisational skills
* Approachability – for students & staff!
– and a GREAT sense of humour!
APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE ON THE SCHOOL’S APPLICATION FORM – CVs NOT ACCEPTED ON THEIR OWN.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MONDAY 24th SEPTEMBER 2018
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD W/B MONDAY 1st OCTOBER 2018
VISITS TO THE SCHOOL ARE MOST WELCOME – PLEASE CONTACT ANN SULLIVAN
FOR ANY QUERIES PLEASE CONTACT:
EILEEN O’SHEA – Head Teacher
Tel: 020 8741 1400 or 020 8741 1066 email: email@example.com