Part time Finance Officer
Reporting to: Headteacher and Trustee Governors
Hours: Part-time position 0.5, working at home with regular school visits
Contract: Permanent following successful probationary period of 3 months
Salary: £28.000 pa [£14,000 pa pro rata]
Parayhouse is a non-maintained special school for students with significant speech, language and communication needs, moderate/severe learning difficulties and associated social, emotional, behavioural and medical difficulties. The School caters for 48 students from 7 - 16 years of age, many of whom are educationally fragile and arrive at Parayhouse with poor self-esteem, low self-confidence and undeveloped basic skills. Teachers, therapists and LSAs work collaboratively as part of a close and supportive multi-professional team, planning, delivering and evaluating the curriculum.
Parayhouse is a ‘good’ school with ‘outstanding’ behaviour [Ofsted 2014]. The relationships within the School are strong and the ethos is positive, caring and ambitious. The parents are extremely supportive and the Trustee Governors work closely with the senior leaders and staff. Students describe the school as “safe” and “family” [see our video on the website www.parayhouse.com
Nearly two years ago, our School moved into premises at the Hammersmith and Fulham College, adjacent to the college’s own provision for SEND students from ages 16 to 25. The School has good relations with the college and is excellently situated for transport links, being 1 minute from Barons Court underground station and 5 minutes from Hammersmith.
Our School Finance Officer [SFO] is leaving at the end of the summer term [20th July] and we wish to appoint her successor and effect a smooth handover. Accordingly this post is from 2nd July 2018, to allow for induction with the current SFO before the school holidays begin.
This role will help support the School in all finance related activities, advise the Headteacher, and work closely with the School’s Business Manager. The majority of this role can be undertaken from home, with regular visits to the School for collection of work, items for banking etc. Please see separate Job Description.
IMPORTANT! There are four Finance committee meetings a year, from 5-7pm at the School, and the SFO attends these to report to the Trustee Governors. The ability to present clearly and cogently to the committee is therefore a priority skill for this post, and preference will be given to candidates who have previous experience of presenting to a Board.
Education and Experience
Experience of financial management, preferably in a school or charitable institution.
Educated to at least GCSE or equivalent, and with additional accountancy qualifications.
Very good numeracy and literacy skills.
Ability to present accounts to the Board, and take questions.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
Ability to use relevant technology e.g. photocopier.
Appropriate level of IT skills. Knowledge and use of Quickbooks is desirable, or willingness to be trained.
Experience of fundraising would be welcomed.
Ability to participate in development and training opportunities.
Ability to relate well to children and adults.
A good understanding of confidentiality.
P/TIME FINANCE OFFICER - JOB DESCRIPTION
Main duties and responsibilities:
To support, and report to, the Trustee Governors, and provide financial support and information to the School.
To be the first point of contact for Local Authorities [LAs] and the Education and Skills Funding Agency [EFSA] regarding all financial matters, including fees, grants and allowances.
When in School, to be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of all children and young people within the School.
* To pay all bills/Invoices as authorised by the Senior Leadership Team (SenLT).
* To place orders as authorised by the SenLT.
* To process the banking of cash and cheques on a weekly basis.
* To process all accounting transactions onto QuickBooks software package.
* To reconcile all bank accounts, credit card accounts and petty cash transactions
* To reconcile lunch cash receipts and chase outstanding monies.
* To reconcile school fees, lunches and free school meal receipts.
* To reconcile uniform sale receipts and chase outstanding monies.
* To monitor any donations received and monitor the “Just Giving” site, downloading relevant reports, as necessary.
* To liaise with & advise our payroll company regarding staff salaries and provide monthly payroll information (by the 15th of each month).
* To check payroll reports and make monthly salary payments to staff.
* To make monthly payments to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs [HMRC] as instructed by the payroll company.
* To process monthly payroll journals onto QuickBooks.
* To upload monthly pension files to the pension company and monitor monthly pension payments.
* To act as credit control for any unpaid invoices.
* To monitor restricted funds income and expenditure [ring fenced].
* To maintain the Fixed Asset Register, including acquisitions and disposals.
* To monitor the annual budget against monthly and termly management accounts.
* To prepare and produce monthly and termly management accounts, for issue to the Senior Leadership Team [SenLT] and Trustee Governors, including the liaising with auditors for submission of annual returns to Companies House and the Charities Commission.
* To attend termly Finance meetings and present latest management accounts and reports.
* To attend National Association of independent schools and non-maintained Special Schools [NASS] Personnel and Finance Meetings throughout the year and feedback information to the SenLT.
* To prepare and issue all fee invoices to Local Authorities [LAs] (obtaining any necessary Purchase Order numbers) and parents and to monitor payments made.
* To prepare and issue all Free School Meals [FSM] invoices for LAs and monitor payments.
* To prepare and issue all lunch invoices to parents and monitor payments.
* To set the annual budget in collaboration with the Headteacher & Finance Committee.
* To set the annual School fees in collaboration with the Headteacher & Finance Committee.
* To liaise with LAs and Commissioning Groups regarding any fee uplifts.
* To prepare all financial papers for the annual audit.
* To liaise and provide support to the auditors, checking returns to Companies House and the Charity Commission.
* To update annual salary changes, issue salary letters and staff contracts.
* To prepare and issue Pupil Premium invoices to LAs and monitor payments.
* To prepare annual Pupil Premium Statements and Sports & PE Grant Statements, in collaboration with the SenLT and ensure all documents are up to date on the school website.
* To update all Finance Policies, as necessary – usually annually.
As and when necessary
* To liaise with NOW Pensions and The Pension Regulator, as necessary.
* To liaise with Education and Skills Funding Agency [ESFA] regarding funding, as necessary.
* To process orders, subscription & membership renewals & contract renewals, as authorised by the SenLT.
* To keep abreast of any relevant legislative changes & updates.
* To assist the School Business Manager and Headteacher as required.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE ON THE SCHOOL’S APPLICATION FORM – NO CVs ACCEPTED.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MONDAY 4th JUNE LATEST
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD W/B MONDAY 10TH JUNE.
FOR ANY QUERIES PLEASE CONTACT:
ANN SULLIVAN, SCHOOL BUSINESS MANAGER
Tel: 0208 741 1400 email: firstname.lastname@example.org